Natural Treatment for Kidney Infection
Kidney infection or urinary tract infection, which is also known in the medical field as pyelonephritis, is one of the bacterial infections found to commonly affect around 40 percent of women and 10 percent of men under 50 years old. The problem with this ailment is that even as it attacks the urinary system, it does not always show obvious signs and symptoms. If left untreated, the infection can permanently damage the kidneys or it may spread to the blood, resulting to a life-threatening condition.
However, certain home remedies have been proven to effectively alleviate and treat kidney infection, such as:
- Vitamin C effectively fights and treats urinary tract infection by strengthening the immune system, and making urine more acidic in order to inhibit the growth of bacteria. The best sources of vitamin C are limes, lemons, strawberries, pineapple, blueberries, watermelons, cranberries, oranges, cherries, berries, mangoes, papaya, bell peppers, tomatoes, potatoes, green leafy vegetables, and broccoli are among the common foods that are very rich in Vitamin C. Ample intake of these foods can greatly help treat and prevent kidney infection. Likewise, a daily dose of 1000mg Vitamin C supplement can be an effective way to treat urinary tract infections. However, it is advisable to seek the doctor’s advice first before taking Vitamin C supplement.
- Vitamin B fruits, like watermelon, banana, and papaya are particularly beneficial treatment for kidney infection. One of the functions of the kidney is to regulate the fluid levels in the body, but the excess of which needs to be managed. The nutrients in vitamin B help the kidneys flush this excess fluid out.
- Echinacea, also known as American Coneflower, is an herb known to effectively treat kidney and bladder infections. A dose of 300mg Echinacea capsule once a day or a glass of Echinacea tea is said to be very beneficial.
- Cranberry juice is loaded with Vitamin C and Quinolic acid, the nutrients that prevent bacteria from sticking onto the walls of the bladder, thus checking the infection swiftly. Urinary tract infection sufferers are advised to drink a glass of fresh cranberry juice everyday or to consume cranberry extract supplements. However, it is not recommended for them to take packaged drinks.
- Apple cider vinegar is a natural antibiotic that can flush out infection and toxins effectively. It also contains malic acid, a dicarboxylic acid, which prevents build up of bacteria in the intestines; thus, making it less likely for bacteria to adhere to the kidneys and cause infection. However, it should be noted that even if apple cider vinegar may help prevent an infection, it does not cure one.
- Baking soda has the power to neutralize the acids in the urine and can relieve infection. To prepare, you just add a spoonful of baking soda into a glass of water and mix well. Drink this blend two times a day.
- Water. If you are a UTI sufferer, you need to drink at least four liters of water everyday to expedite the flushing out of bacteria from your body. And since drinking plenty of water induces urination, you must not hold it for long, but pass it as soon as you feel the urge to.
Nevertheless, proper hygiene plays a vital role in keeping kidney infection at bay apart from the natural treatment for kidney infection.